Wednesday, January 23, 2013

without Snow Geese!

Last week, I was ducking (no pun intended) into the house because of massive flocks of birds.  I believe it was made up of mostly European Starlings, although I saw Robins and Blackbirds too.  There numbers were probably in the thousands.

Vincentown Lake, Vincentown, NJ
This week, I was gifted with the chance to take a quick picture of a flock of Snow Geese.  It was so beautiful.  What do you think?

In case you want to learn more about Snow Geese ... Check out Snow Goose, Life History, All About Birds website. 

If you'd like to learn more about European Starlings ... A bird species that is consider to be invasive; as it doesn't have any natural predators like those birds who were already established in the United States.  Check out European Starling, Identification, All About Birds website.

I found myself chuckling after reading WHY this specie was introduced to the United States... "Introduced as part of a plan to introduce to the U.S. all birds mentioned in the works of Shakespeare."  Quote from National Invasive Species Information Center page on European Starling

Amazing, somehow I managed to segue back to a writer!!!  Who knew taking a picture of Snow Geese would lead to Shakespeare?

No comments:

Post a Comment