Friday, May 3, 2013

without yardwork!

Yesterday I did it!  I tackled an over grown and neglected ornamental grass "clump." 

Several years ago, a neighbor with whom we share a mutual plot of yard with asked if they could plant this ornamental grass at the one end.  We didn't think there would be harm, as it was small plant in a six inch pot.  Boy were we wrong!

I tried last weekend to cut back the dead and decaying sections.  Soon, though I lost the battle and my determination to purge the mess.  Over the next few days I sought a solution to helping win the war.  Then it came to me, all I needed was a spool of simple white string.

You'd think this would be an easy item to find at your local "we-have-everything-store."  No.  I went directly to the garden center and asked where I could find white string.  The helpful store attendant promptly said, "Follow me."  Pointed at a peg board and said it should be hanging there.   Then continued on, pointing in two more locations.  I timidly said, "Umm, I don't see it.  Where is the white string?"  She replied, "We don't carry white, but here is green." 

I walked away bemused.  I clearly stated, when I first asked the attendant, where is the white (NOT GREEN) string.  I know some of you must be shaking your head going white green what's the difference.  Big I would reply.  I ended up finding the white string (ON MY OWN!).  The spool was twice the length of the green for around the same price.  I did let management know it would be a good idea *IF* an employee doesn't know the answer to a customer's question that they simply say I don't know OR help the customer find someone who does. 

In this day and age of technology certainly there should be some way to check inventory.  Wouldn't you think?

Okay, so with string in hand I was able to tie up several bundles of the unruly dead reeds.  It took me a while but in the end I feel I made a difference to the new growth. 

The war isn't over, because there is still decaying material around the base that needs to be raked up and bagged.  But that will have to wait until this weekend.  Other chores (laundry, laundry, laundry) must be tackled today!

What task have you put off for a week, month or years?  Have you tried and didn't succeed to win the battle?  Try again.  I know you can do it.  Just like I did!


No comments:

Post a Comment